How do I return the software
If you are located in North America, Microsoft offer a 30 day money back guarantee on all of their retail software. You should be able to return the product to the store you bought it from (subject to the retailer's return policy), and ask for a refund, or go directly to Microsoft. The guidelines to return a product directly to Microsoft are:
- Return the product within 30 days of purchase date.
- Send product, original product packaging, and all related materials via traceable means (that is, FedEx, UPS, Airborne, certified, and insured U.S. mail). For both tracking and security purposes, all returns must be sent using one of the above-mentioned methods.
Customer "walk in" returns will not be accepted.
- Provide a copy of Proof of Purchase (copy of original sales receipt, credit card statement, or canceled check).
- Provide complete contact information, street address (no PO boxes), city, state, postal code, telephone number, and e-mail address, if applicable.
- Uninstall the software product from your computer and any storage devices, and delete any backup copies.
- Include all related media and manuals.
- Supply the name and location of the retailer where the product was purchased.
- Include a brief statement as to why you want to return the product for a refund.
- Microsoft will refund reasonable shipping costs of up to seven dollars ($7.00 USD) per returned item, unless you provide satisfactory proof that your shipping costs were greater than seven dollars ($7.00 USD).
There are additional terms available at http://www.microsoft.com/info/nareturns.htm
, which explain when it is not possible to return software.
If you're in the UK, then you should be able to return it to the store you bought it from, but only if it is still shrink wrapped. The 30 day money back guarantee is not offered there. If you have opened the wrapping, then you may have to contact Microsoft UK directly. The web address for this is http://www.microsoft.com/uk/contactus/default.mspx
Other countries will need to see their Microsoft country websites to determine the return policy.